API-led connectivity is a method to connect data to applications through application programming interfaces or APIs. The APIs are developed for specific purposes like unlocking data from systems, transferring data into processes or to integrate two software and enable communication between the two.
When a company adopts API-led connectivity, it helps the organization in connecting all its systems and multiple data sources and makes them available in a centralized location and accessible across the organization to various processes and teams. This helps organizations in making optimal use of their software, data and drive stronger collaborations across the organization.
API-led connectivity plays an important role in unleashing data from silos and democratizes its accessibility across a company. Central IT builds reusable assets and thereby unlocks key systems such as legacy systems, apps and data sources. These API assets can then be used by central IT and other teams to create process level information.
API-led integration strategy is fast becoming an important strategy as businesses pursue digital transformation. Companies across the organizations are digitally transforming by integrating their products, people, and processes through new-age digital technologies like mobile, IoT, Cloud, and AI, etc. However, to be successful in their digital transformation efforts, organizations need to bring in multiple technologies. Digital transformation also requires data from disparate sources to be collected and made accessible to all stakeholders in the organizations.
Also Read: How to drive high customer engagement with Salesforce?
Traditional Connectivity Vs API-Led Connectivity
API connectivity is considered better and more aligned to modern technology needs of enterprises than traditional connectivity approaches like P2P and E2E because –
|Traditional Connectivity Approach||API-Led Connectivity Approach|
How Can API-Led Connectivity Reduce My IT’s Workload?
In the new environment, the IT team is entrusted with the responsibility to not only maintain the old legacy system but also implement new technologies as per the business needs. It is creating an IT gap as the requirements to implement new technologies far exceeding the IT team’s ability to deliver. And it is difficult to fill the IT gap by just adding more resources into the team.
On the other hand, there’s not much increase in IT budgets. Most companies are either keeping the budget the same or are only making small additions to it. An API-led integration strategy can help companies address both the issues- the shortage in IT resources and budget.
What APIs are used in an API-Led Connectivity Approach?
In the API connectivity approach, the APIs are based on three layers: System, Process, and Experience.
Let’s look at each of them-
- System APIs- These APIs usually access core systems like ERP, billing, proprietary software, etc. It helps the users in getting users to the records of the systems and insulates them from any complexity or changes to the systems. The user doesn’t need to understand the working of the core systems to access data from it.
- Process APIs- A process API handles the logic and orchestration of the data. It doesn’t connect to core systems but with the system layer APIs to access data. The process APIs interact with one system or multiple systems and helps in breaking data silos.
- Experience layer APIs- These APIs help in reconfiguring the data as per the audience’s needs. Enterprise data will be accessed by many audiences. Some may need data in one format, for example, JSON while others may need in XML or any other format. Experience layer APIs take the data from a common source and transform the data in various formats
API-led connectivity brings flexibility and reusability to a business. It allows enterprises to easily manage and connect assets and adapt these APIs as per the changing business needs.
How Can API-Led Connectivity Improve My Business?
An API-led connectivity approach helps businesses in various ways by delivering various benefits including-
- Connect Anything- Modern business demands the breaking of data silos and smooth data flow across the organization. An API-led integration strategy is the best way to connecting systems, data and people.
- Reduce Time and Costs- The API assets you have created are reusable wherever required. Next time, you can use the APIs assets to accelerate your project development. This helps you save time and costs.
- Designed For Change- API connectivity offers you great flexibility as they are designed with future changes in mind. As businesses adopt new technologies, the API assets can be redesigned for the changes.
Most importantly, it helps with business efficiency in the long term with data-driven decision making, rapid development processes, and higher productivity.
How Can I Learn More about API Connectivity? Who Can Help Me Add API-Led Connectivity to My Business?
Over the years, AppShark has helped companies of all sizes and across industries leverage technology as a strategy to optimize processes, build new capabilities and innovate. Salesforce Integration is one of our key offerings where we provide comprehensive integration services such as strategy, development, and management.
To know more about API connectivity and how the Salesforce consultants at AppShark can help you add API-led connectivity to your systems, email us at email@example.com and we’ll schedule a call with one of our experts at the earliest.